Friday, January 7, 2011

Attacking Christians? Me??

A semi-Christian (he doesn't go to church, not sure that he believes all of the Bible) friend of mine took offense at this quote from my ...You Might Be a Taoist website.

"If you have a hard time reconciling proven historic and scientific facts with contradictory stories passed down by uneducated superstitious desert dwellers, edited and re-edited by generations of religious and government leaders for their own benefit, constantly quoted out of context by followers with their own agendas, about a god who's described as jealous, petty, indecisive, and ruthless, having murdered millions, including admittedly innocent victims... you might be a Taoist."

He felt that I was attacking certain people whose religion was important to them, had maybe even saved their lives.

I tried to explain that he was missing the point. I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just sayin...

2 comments:

  1. eh, you just wanted an excuse to post that on your blog. :P

    And I don't blame you, it's a great little blurb. But sometimes it's hard for people to understand you're not attacking faith per se, but the misuse of it. Not that I'm sure that's what you're doing there, but it seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not an attack.
    It was actually the quandary that I found myself in about 5 years ago... having a hard time making the all-knowing, all powerful loving god who makes you burn in hell if you missed church.
    Then when I found out, from a Discovery channel show, that at the time of Jesus churches were VERY much in competition with each other for members, it started a personal investigation path that ended up in Philosophical Taoism.

    ReplyDelete