Thursday, January 26, 2012

Head = Hat-rack?

When I was a kid and did some dumb thing without thinking, my dad would say, "Use your head for something besides a hat-rack!"

It's said that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. In other words: by being sweet, nice, and agreeable you will attract more fans than if you're a jerk. The inference I see is that being a jerk about something (e.g. Westboro Baptist Church protests) would drive folks away, maybe to a choice that they had not considered before. Fundamentalist Christians basically drove me to find an alternative to Christian/Jewish/Muslim religions and that's how I ended up discovering I was a Taoist.

So here's today's question for those who want to use their hat-racks... if you wanted to promote Taoism would you be smarter to be nice about it, or would Taoism get more positive consideration if we pretended to hate those wimpy nature-loving Taoists and bashed Lao Tzu at every opportunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment